jueves, 27 de diciembre de 2007

"A Pillow Book"/Manga

plato desgrafiado, serie manga/incised plate, Manga series, 1999
Continuando con eso de "Chinoiserie/Orientalismos"/Continuing the discussion of "Chinoiserie/Orientalismos": for English, scroll down...
fragment of the first version of "A Pillow Book"/fragmento de la primera versión de "A Pillow Book", 2001“A Pillow Book”

De esta obra hay dos versiones, la primera más chica, la segunda más amplia. Empecé a trabajar en el proyecto en principios de esta década, “tratando de ser moderna”, yo creo. (Mi capacidad de salir de lo decimonónico siempre es cuestionable). La obra: se trata de una serie de cojines hechos de tela con transferencia y costura. La primera versión es de 150 x 100 cm, y la segunda, montada en triplay forrado de tela roja, es de 25 elementos de aprox. 30 x 40 c/u.

_____________________________________fragmento de la versión II/fragment of version II "A Pillow Book", 2005
Este proyecto se me ocurrió al estar viendo (durante alguna noche ¡larga y solitaria!) una película del realizador japonés, Akira Kurosawa, “Ángel Borracho”, con subtítulos en inglés. Lo dramático de las imágenes junto con el discurso impreso me hizo recordar a ese género extraordinario, la fotonovela mexicana, y decidí hacer mi propia versión, imitación fotonovela con un fragmento de la película. En la escena que escogí, el héroe, un pandillero joven muriéndose de tuberculosis, trata de sacar un beso de su novia, quien está a punto de abandonarlo por su rival (quien no está enfermo). Es el beso de la muerte: piensa ella que se quedará infectada.

Mi hijo Andrés me conectó la videocasetera (sí, fue antes cuando se usaba eso de videocaseteras) a la computadora, y con estas imágenes sacadas de la impresora hice las fotocopias que sirvieron para hacer la transferencia. La costura es una especie de dibujo que interviene la imagen fotográfica, y la elaboración de los cojines tipo almohadas, además de dar una forma cercana al encuadre de la fotonovela, me da la excusa para hacer la referencia a la película de Peter Greenaway en el título.
fragmentos de la versión II, fragments from version II, "A Pillow Book", 2005
















Y va bien eso de las almohadas, porque es una escena de recámara.
También me interesó esta obra de Kurosawa en particular porque está ambientada en el Japón de las posguerra, un Japón tratando de asimilar la cultura de sus vencedores.

fragmento de la versión II, fragment of version II, "A Pillow Book", 2005Escogí la escena por su intimidad y dramatismo, dos cualidades que siempre me atraen. Las dramas de recamara son mi debilidad…


_______________Piezas Manga ________________________________

panorama, obra manga/work from the series "manga", 2006-7
La caricatura existía en la sociedad japonesa como una forma de ukiyo-e, recortable para armar libritos, tarjetas, o estampas. Y la narrativa o trabajo secuencial era elemento implícito de los rollos tradicionales. Pero el comic moderno japonés (manga) me interesa por la forma en que absorbe la influencia occidental mientras sigue trabajando con los elementos estilísticos de la gráfica japonesa de antes. Lo que más me llama la atención es, una vez más, el manejo del dramatismo en el dibujo.

plato "La gritona"/plate, "The screamer", 2007


Ya había trabajado con grafismos de varias culturas con la idea de llevar algo que es por naturaleza bidimensional a una manifestación más tridimensional, es decir, de objeto. Entre otros medios lo había probado con cerámica, que es lo que me propuse con las imágenes basadas en manga.








Traduje varios fragmentos de comic japonés en placas de xilografía.
Al imprimir la placa en tablas de barro, todos los elementos se vuelven tridimensionales. El barro impreso se puede recortar y enrollar o meter en un molde para hacer un plato, etc. Otra alternativa es de desgrafiar directamente el barro, dibujando en su superficie. (En general trabajo con cerámica de alta temperatura o porcelana).
Mi idea era de hacer dípticos o polípticos combinando la misma placa de xilografía impresa en barro y en papel. Pero al hacer la impresión en papel de la xilografía ocupado para el barro, sentí la necesidad de contextualizarlo más, darle más niveles de lectura. Entonces empecé a combinar los grabados de la serie “Microcosmos” con las imágenes basadas en manga.

"Voom", 2007

Esta obra es reciente, de hace dos o tres años para acá, y espero desarrollar mucho más este proyecto.
¿De qué voy a hablar en la próxima sesión? Quién sabe, es un nuevo año.....

__________________________________________________________________
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ENGLISH VERSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"A Pillow Book "
fragment from version II/fragmento de la versión II, "A Pillow Book", 2005

There are two versions of this work, the first one is smaller both in size and number of elements, and the second, much more extensive. I started working on this project in the beginning of the present decade, “trying to be more modern” I think. I tend to get stuck in the nineteenth century, but here I made it up to about 1950. Anyway, both versions consist of a series of cushions or pillows made up of fabric with images in transfer intervened by sewing. The first version is about 5 by 3 feet, and the second has 25 elements, mounted on plywood covered with red cloth, each pillow being approximately 12 by 16 inches.

fragment of version II/fragmento de la versión II, "A Pillow Book"
This project occurred to me while watching (some long lonely night!) a movie by the Japanese director Akira Kurosawa, with subtitles in English: “ Drunken Angel”. The dramatic nature of the images together with the printed dialogue reminded me of that extraordinary genre, the Mexican photo-novel, and I decided to make my own version, imitation photo-novel, with a fragment of the movie. In the scene I chose, the hero, a young gangster dying of tuberculosis, tries to get a kiss out of his girlfriend who is about to abandon him for his rival (who isn’t sick). The kiss of death: she thinks it will infect her.

fragment of version II/fragmento de la versión II, "A Pillow Book", 2005

My son Andrés helped me connect the VCR (yes, it was back in the VCR days) to the computer in order to get a series of stills from the video, and with these computer print-outs I made the photocopies used in the transfer prints. The sewing works as a way of drawing on/intervening the photographic image, and making the work in the form of pillows creates a format similar to that of the photo-novels, as well as giving me an excuse to make a reference to the movie of Peter Greenaway (The Pillow Book) in my title. And the pillow business is appropriate thematically, since the scene is set in a bedroom.

I was also interested in the work of Kurosawa because it takes Japan after their defeat in World War II, a Japan trying to assimilate the customs of their victors. I chose the scene for its intimacy and dramatic nature, two qualities which always attract me. I tend to get sucked into these bedroom dramas….

__________________________________________________________________


Manga Pieces

detail, print from the series "Manga"/detalle, grabado de la serie "Manga", 2007
Caricature existed in traditional Japan in the form of ukiyo-e, printed pages that could be cut up to make booklets, cards, or stamps. And in Japanese scrolls narrative or sequential scenes were implicit.
But I find the modern Japanese comic (manga) interesting for the way in which it assimilates Western influences without abandoning the Japanese graphic tradition. What most attracts my attention, as usual, is the inherent dramatic quality of the images.

I have already worked with graphic material from other cultures with the idea of taking a two-dimensional image and translating it into a three-dimensional state, into some sort of object. Ceramics was one of the media I have used, and the one I chose to apply to this project.
I translated various fragments of Japanese comics into woodcuts. When the woodcut is printed onto slabs of clay all the elements of the image become three-dimensional. The printed clay can be cut and rolled or accommodated in a mold to form a plate, etc. (Generally I work with stoneware or porcelain).
cilindro, serie Manga/cilinder, Manga series, 2007

______________________________________incised stoneware/cerámica desgrafiada,1999


Mi idea was to make diptychs or triptychs combining the same woodcut printed in clay and printed on Japanese paper. But when I made the print on paper, I felt that the image needed some other element in order to create a more complex context and thus the possibility of more levels of perception of the finished work. So I decided to incorporate the small drypoint prints of the Microcosmos series into the finished manga prints.








This work is recent (I started it several years ago) and is part of an on-going project.
As for the subject matter of my next blog session.........who knows, it's a whole new year!
detail, stoneware plate, detalle, plato de cerámica, 1999























2 comentarios:

Horacio dijo...

EStas piezas estan chingonsisimas!!!!!
saludos y feliz 2008 de un viejo amigo de Andrés y admirador añejo de la obra Rippey.

Jimmy dijo...

Hi Carla:
I'm not sure if my first communication went through. In any event, my name is Jimmy Salhany. I live in Omaha Ne. Over 25 years ago I bot a painting of yours entitled "Discaded Page" dated 1979from a couple in Iowa whom I believe were your parents. I visited them with Dalienne Majors, who was my partner at the time. I saw Dalienne recently and we happened to discuss that meeting and she told me your name. I looked it up on the web and found your blog. I have greatly enjoyed owing that painting and enjoyed viewing your blog.

Sincerely,

Jim
email: crossinggenres@gmail.com
web page: crossinggenres.com